- Blogging Tips
Add your Blog
Add your blog to CraftCrave
There are two main reasons why you might want to add your blog (or other feed) to CraftCrave:
- It is essentially a free advertising service, so if you would like to get more visitors, then sites like CraftCrave are a good way to achieve this.
- Every link to your blog/site increases its “importance” in the sight of search engines, so if this is important to you then listing is a good idea.
So how do you get listed? Make sure your blog conforms to the listing requirements, and if it does then you can add it using the steps below.
The requirements to be listed here are the following:
- Your blog must lists items which fall into a category which is listed here, such as digital scrapbooking freebies. Blogs containing free items which are not included in the existing categories will not be listed. However if you think there should be a new category then do let me know.
- Your blog must not contain material unsuitable for viewing by children. Pictures or photos of people or characters should be wearing clothes which cover their torso including the cleavage. My standards are higher than most so if you have pictures (photos or cartoons) of people showing lots of skin or tight fitting tops on girls with Dolly Parton style breasts I will not add the blog to CraftCrave. If I wouldn’t want my 5 year old to see it, it won’t get listed. If I get a content warning from either Google or McCafee Site Advisor I will not even look at the blog.
- Make sure your blog contains your work, not someone else’s. This site is for content producers, and so if you don’t produce your own content I will not add your site. For example, to be listed in the DigiFree category, if you write about other people’s freebies and do not produce your own then your blog won’t be listed.
- Make sure that if you are offering freebies, they really are free. That is, the system will not identify blog posts which say things like “free with purchase” or “leave a comment with your email address and I’ll send you the freebie” or “follow my blog and I’ll send you this freebie” etc.
If your blog doesn’t meet the requirements, please don’t submit your blog because it won’t be added.
Step 1: Before you do anything else, check to see if you are already listed! You might be pleasantly surprised that I’ve been sending people your way already Search for your blog name (remove the http://) using the “Search This Site” item on the menubar at the top of this page on the right. If you find your blog, the system knows about your site. If you have been listed before but are no longer, then you should read my listing policy above which you might have violated.
Step 2: Check your blog feed. Your feed must be set to FULL; this is extremely important because that’s all the system can see. If your blog doesn’t show up, please read the requirements above carefully.
Step 3: To improve your likelihood of being listed, you need to understand how the system will try to find your freebies. Read this this. You may also want to make sure you use a commonly known place to store your freebies, see here.
Step 4: Add your site using the small form on the sidebar. Please only submit your blog once.You can also add your freebies to CraftCrave.net which is the sister site for this one, which has all the same items and more. The difference with that site is that you can add your own content, vote on other content, network with other crafters, connect your items to Facebook and search for items much more effectively. The system updates both sites, and if you join CraftCrave.net then make sure you enter your id in the submission form – when I add your blog to the system, I will also add this user ID and then all your items will be listed as posted by you, so you can update or correct them yourself.
If you are successful in adding your blog, you should also do the following to maximise your likelihood of getting visitors:
- to improve the ability of the system to select the correct images from your post, read this
- to improve your star rating, read this
- to keep an eye on how many visitors CraftCrave sends your way, read this
- to increase your search ranking, read my posts about meta tags, blog load speed, browser-based SEO and don’t be afraid to dig into your HTML! If you’re still not convinced, read about why you should care about search engine optimisation.
- If you have already joined CraftCrave.net, enter your user ID so the system can add items under your ID (and then you can modify them). The username MUST EXIST for this to work.
- I add blogs
approximately once a weekwhen I can. This is a hobby. I work full-time, study part-time and have a family I like to spend time with. So please be patient – sometimes I don’t have spare time for more than a month but I’ll do my best.
- This only works for blogs, not ordinary web sites. Your site must have a proper RSS feed for this to work. If it is faulty (e.g., it has no date stamp) then I can’t list it. But you can always add your items to CraftCrave.net yourself.
- Once your site is known to the system it will remain on the system – you don’t need to fill this in again (unless your blog went down for a long time and is back up again).
- If you don’t appear on CraftCrave within a few weeks of adding your blog using the form, your blog does not conform to the instructions/FAQ so please re-read it. Because so many people add their blogs a system processes this list, so if it doesn’t find freebies or if it does find banned keywords it will ignore your blog. I process this list approximately once per week.